Last Updated: September 24, 2019
- Information collected through mediums other than our Services;
- Information collected by any person or entity other than us, even if related to our Services (such as a third-party website, application, widget or lead form); or
Information We Collect and Receive About You
We may collect or receive several types of information about you. This information is collected as described below.
Information You Provide
The following are situations in which you may provide Your Information to us:
- When you fill out forms, fields or profile information through our Services;
- When you sign up for any newsletters or other materials through our Services;
- When you communicate with us or request information about us or our Services, whether via email or other means;
- When you provide information to us through a third-party application, service or website;
- When you participate in any of our marketing initiatives, including, contests, sweepstakes, events, or promotions;
- When you participate in forums or provide feedback, comments, or user generated content or submissions.
- When you create an account to access or use our Services; and
- When you otherwise use our Services.
Information Third Parties Provide
We may collect information about you from sources other than you, such as from social media websites (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or others), blogs, other users and our business partners.
General Use and Preference Information
We may collect, receive and store information regarding your general use of our Services (such as details of how and when you used our Services, interactions with our Services, log in information, resources that you access, your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, your browser type, and your device type), as well as your preferences.
In general, personal information you submit to us is used to provide the Services, to respond to requests that you make, and to aid us in serving you better. For example, we use your personal information to provide you with access to certain areas and features of the Services; communicate with you about your account, your use of the Services and any changes to our policies; personalize content, advertisements, and offers as a part of the Services; improve the Services; provide you with marketing materials and promotions of interest; and for other internal business purposes. We reserve the right to freely collect, use and disclose information collected automatically via technology.
When you use our Services through your computer, mobile phone or other device, we may collect information regarding and related to your device, such as hardware models and IDs, device type, operating system version, the request type, the content of your request and basic usage information about your use of our Services, such as date and time and store them in log files. In addition, we may collect information regarding application-level events and associate that with your account to provide customer service. We may also collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage and application data caches.
If you enable the collection of location information on your device, then we may collect information about your actual location, such as your mobile device’s GPS coordinates. We may also use other technologies to determine your location (such as through the location of nearby Wi-Fi access points or cell towers), or obtain your location information from third parties. If you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, if you device gives you that option.
We may collect your phone number in several ways. For example, we may collect your phone number: (i) if you submit your phone number to us through our Services; (ii) if you submit your phone number to sign up for or facilitate the creation of a personalized account associated with our Services; (iii) by capturing your phone number if you call us; or (iv) if a third party provides your phone number to us.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Log Files, Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers
Technologies such as cookies, web beacons, tags and scripts are used by us and our partners, affiliates, advertisers, analytics teams, or service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing activities, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML5 to collect and store information.
How We Use Your Information
We may make Use of Your Information for various lawful business purposes. Among others, these purposes may include using Your Information to:
- Engage in customer support. For example, we might confirm and complete transactions requested by you, verify information you provide to us and provide you with administrative notices.
- Fulfill a request initiated by you. For example, if you submit a query for a list of content or products relevant to you, we may use Your Information to provide you with the information you’ve requested.
- Contact you and provide you with information. For example, we might provide or contact you through email, postal or other communications with Service updates, account related confirmations or verifications, promotional materials, surveys, offers, quotes, personalized information and other information from us or our business partners.
- Analyze, improve and manage our Services and operations. For example, we might obtain feedback regarding our Services, understand and anticipate your needs and preferences, better understand your use of our Services, customize and tailor Service content and advertising, improve our marketing and promotional efforts, engage in statistical analysis and provide feedback to our vendors, advertisers and other third parties.
- Create ad targeting Profiles (“Profiles”) based on your interactions with our Services. Profiles will not include personal information you provide to us, such as your name or email address. Profiles are associated with a persistent user identifier and may include information such as spending habits, shopping intent, demographic information and other information inferred from your online characteristics and behavior. We may share these Profiles with advertisers, advertising networks and other third parties for their and our own marketing purposes.
How We May Disclose Your Information
General Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose Your Information:
- To third parties that are interested in contacting you or providing offers to you that may be related to our Services or about products or services you may find of interest; If you do not want us to share your personal information with these companies, contact us at legal@CollegeFinance.com.
- On an anonymous, aggregated, basis to third parties for purposes that include research, analysis, retail marketing, and relevant advertising;
- To any person who, in our reasonable judgment, is authorized to receive Your Information as your agent, including as a result of your business dealings with that person (for example, your attorney);
- To our third-party vendors so that they may provide support for our internal and business operations, including for the handling of data processing, data verification, data storage, surveys, research, internal marketing, delivery of promotional, marketing and transaction materials, and our Services’ maintenance and security. These companies are authorized to Use Your Information only as necessary to provide these services to us and are contractually obligated to keep Your Information confidential;
- As required by law such as to comply with a subpoena, bankruptcy proceedings, or similar legal process or ordered by a court, regulatory, or administrative agency;
- As we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, if we believe that you are violating any applicable law, rule or regulation, or are otherwise interfering with another’s rights or property, including, without limitation, our rights or property;
- If requested by authorities in the event of any act of terrorism or instance of local, regional or national emergency;
- To enforce or protect our rights;
- In connection with a Business Transfer, as defined below (see Business Transfers below); and
- To our affiliated companies (i.e. , companies under common control or management with us).
If you do not want Your Information shared as described above, then you should not provide us with Your Information.
Aggregation and De-Personalization
We may take Your Information and de-identify it either by combining it with information about other individuals (aggregating Your Information with information about other individuals), or by removing characteristics (such as your name) that make the information personally identifiable to you (de-identifying Your Information). We reserve the right to share, loan, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose such information to third parties at any time, for any lawful purpose, without notice or compensation to you.
Share with Friends
We may provide you with an opportunity to invite your friends, family and others (“Friends”) to visit our site and use the Services. If you elect to use this referral feature, we will automatically send to your Friend, to the email address you provided, one or more emails or other communications, on your behalf, inviting them to visit or CollegeFinace.co and our Services. Any such emails to Friends may display your email address. You warrant and represent that you have your Friend’s consent to provide us with their information for this purpose, and that you will not give us referral information for any person not permitted to use CollegeFinance.com and its Services, including, without limitation a child under the age of 13, a person whose account has previously been suspended or deactivated, or a person residing or located in a territory where use of CollegeFinance.com and its Services are not authorized.
Circumvention of Security Measures
User Generated Content
We offer publicly accessible blogs and other interactive media through our Services. To request removal of Your Information from our blog or community forum, contact us at legal@CollegeFinance.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove Your Information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
From time to time, we may participate in or use advertising networks, such as third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors and research firms. We may use these third-party advertising networks for marketing, advertising and promotional purposes, as well as to serve advertisements to you. Advertising networks often gather data about consumers who view advertisements to make inferences about a consumer’s interests and preferences, which enables their algorithms to deliver advertisements directly targeted to the consumer’s specific interests. This practice is often referred to as “online behavioral advertising.” For example, a third-party advertising network might collect the type of Internet browser you use, the type of computer operating system you use, the domain name of a website you visit, whether or not you visit specific pages of a website, the location of your Internet service provider’s presence, the date and time of a visit to a website and other interactions between you and a website. Please see the “Online Behavioral Advertising” subsection of Your Choices For How We Use and Collect Your Information below to read about how you can prevent certain third-party advertising networks from collecting information about you.
Your Choices For How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the use of personal information you provide to us. Below are some mechanisms that provide you with control over certain information:
- Email Offers from Us. If you do not wish to receive email offers or newsletters from us, you can opt out of receiving email information from us (other than emails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, change of password and other similar communications essential to any of your transactions through our Services) by using the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the email.
- Accessing and Correcting Personal Information. If your personal information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update, amend, delete/remove by sending us an email at legal@CollegeFinance.comm. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. In addition, if the portion of our Services allows you to create an account with us, then you can review and update Your Information by logging into that portion of our Services, visiting your account profile page and making changes.
- Online Behavioral Advertising. Certain third-party advertising networks that deliver behavioral advertising are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”). You can prevent DAA member companies from collecting preference data about you by clicking here and following the DAA’s directions. Note that if you opt out through the DAA, you will still receive advertising. In addition, if you opt out through the DAA and later delete your cookies, use a different browser or buy a new computer, you will need to renew your choice to opt out.
Information You Disclose to Third Parties
CollegeFinance.com is not directed at or promoted for use by children under the age of thirteen (13). We do not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register as users. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at legal@CollegeFinance.com.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Third Party Widgets and Plug-ins
Operation of our Services in the United States
Our Services are operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Services or providing us with Your Information, you consent to this transfer.
If you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices or wish to make a request regarding Your Information, please contact us at legal@CollegeFinance.com.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS — YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Individuals who are residents of California and have provided their personal information to us may request information regarding our disclosures, if any, of their personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at legal@CollegeFinance.com or in writing at:
College Finance Company LLC
399 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
California privacy rights requests must include the phrase “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of the message and must include the email address or mailing address, as applicable, for us to send our reply. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve the right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified above.